Wednesday, October 3, 2012

The FInal Chapter

My father's struggle has been well documented by myself and many others, but one final chapter is about to take place with the daily war with his feet.  In just under two weeks, my father will have his left leg amputated below the knee...

It's still difficult for me to wrap my head around.  For the past couple of years, Dad has been fighting continual bone infections in his left foot that leave him on I.V. anti-biotics.  These bone infections have slowly become more and more severe leaving the possibility of the infection reaching his blood stream and killing him in a matter of months.

With his life at stake, there was only one option... to take the leg.  As many of you know, I am playing basketball here in Holland and have officially seen my father for the last time with both of his legs.  Being away from him will be a significant struggle, as I will want hour by hour updates of his conditions and his long rehab recovery.  My father is my hero, and this just proves one more time that he is worthy of such a title.

He could have thrown in the towel on this one and just decided to roll the dice with these infections, but he knows if all goes right, this move will be better for him in the long run.  The road to recovery and normalcy will be a challenging journey, so that is why I am asking all friends, family, and strangers to pray for my mother and father.

Please circulate this to as many people as possible because I know how strong the power of prayer can be.  Thank you all for your concern and love through just another test in our lives.  We wouldn't be able to make it through without you!


6 comments:

  1. Tanner, thanks for sharing; I'll be praying for you dad and mom and you. keep us updated; what a hero your dad truly is! Praying for peace for you as you play and trust Him with your dad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Will keep you and your family in my thoughts and pray all goes well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You and your family will be in my thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tanner, we found out from your mom about this situation. We will hold you and your family up in prayer. May God bless you all, and may His Will be done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Truly, I say to you, whoever says to this mountain, ‘Be taken up and thrown into the sea,’ and does not doubt in his heart, but believes that what he says will come to pass, it will be done for him. Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours." (Mark 11:23-24 ESV)

    Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family!
    Love,
    The Pack Family
    Ken, Julie, Kristen & Austin

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tanner,
    I will certainly be praying for your dad as he undergoes surgery and for you as you support him from a distance. I know that has to be difficult to sort through. Sty confident of this: "You will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living. Wait for the Lord; be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord" Ps. 27:13-14
    Also... I have a cousin in Holland... I wrote you a facebook message for you with contact information in case you ever need some fellowship?
    Heidi Lloyd

    ReplyDelete